March 28, 2013

Feel the Beet

Last Easter I made my first beet salad - but this little ol' blog wasn't quite in existence yet, so I wasn't able to post the recipe.  This year, I'll be all over it.  Check out the beautiful beets I picked up at Whole Foods in Lincoln Park tonight - they had red and golden beets so naturally I got both!  I also picked up some FarmedHere windy city arugula for the salad - I happen to know just how good this stuff is having left the Good Food Festival the other weekend with a package in my tote :)  

Having had only a small amount of admiration for beets when I was younger, I have grown into a full-fledged beet-loving adult.  I enjoy really any variation of a beet salad, especially when it's made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.  For this salad I'm going to pair the arugula & beets (which will be roasted) with some fresh, creamy chèvre, pistachios and a light homemade vinaigrette for Easter brunch on Saturday.  

The recipe will be up next week and trust me, you'll want to try it out.  You may even get those beet haters to convert when you prepare them in a salad like this.  Several members of my family thought they didn't like beets (particularly the younger folk) until they tried this salad, and most of them ended up going back for seconds, not leaving a trace of leftovers.  Yes - beets are most excellent.

These beets are total babes


No comments:

Post a Comment