April 3, 2013

Need New Glasses? Meet Warby Parker...

How many of you out there are still rocking old frames with which you're none too pleased - maybe from college, the 90's or even your adolescence? I waited years to swap out my outdated specs (purchased my Junior year of college) due to the outrageously priced options I was faced with at various eye doctors.  $400+ for new frames & lenses?!  Not an expense I cared to take on when I was one of those people who only wore their glasses in the comfort of their own home.

Then a bad thing happened - out of no where I woke up one morning to find my right eye extremely irritated, swollen & bright red - not to mention it felt like it was on fire. I hadn't slept in my contacts the night before, I knew that to be a no no in general.  So, was it pink eye? (yuck!)  Thankfully, no - but I had no idea what was happening, especially considering I'd never had problems with my eyes before (no allergies, no sensitivity, no infections).  After getting in for an emergency appointment my eye doctor told me I had a somewhat rare, but fairly serious ulcer on my cornea. My reaction: "Huh? What?? How did that even happen?!"

She went on to explain that it could have been caused by a number of things, down to a little dust making its way into my eye as I slept.  Thankfully she gave me some drops that provided a fair amount of immediate relief - but then she dropped a bombshell: I had to wear my glasses - absolutely NO contacts - for the next six weeks. "But I despise my glasses!" I thought to myself, "and now you're telling me they must be on my face in public for the next how many weeks?!"  Ouch.  Clearly I made it through that period of my life, ugly glasses and all, but in case something like that ever happened again I was determined to get myself into some stylish & enjoyable new frames.  Enter Warby Parker.

Warby Parker is the brainchild of four friends who set out to offer high-quality eyewear by engaging with customers directly. They are able to sell boutique-level prescription eyewear starting at $95 through their website, avoiding conventional channels that artificially hike-up costs.  The best part?  Warby Parker donates a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair sold.  Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

I did the home try-on and found myself some fabulous new frames and it only cost me $95 - prescription lenses & all.  No longer ashamed of my glasses, I now wear them much as I wear contacts - maybe even a little more.  I Warby Parker - and here's a few more reasons why you should too:

  • Warby Parker offers free home try-on - visit their site & select up to five pairs of frames.  They will send them to you, free of cost, and you get to try them out for five days.  They also include a pre-paid shipping label for you to send them back.  All FREE!  Amazing.
  • If you didn't find your frame soul mate in the first batch of home try-ons, select five more & do it again - FREE!
  • When you're ready to order simply fill out the form on their website with your prescription information.  If you don't know it, they also offer to get in touch with your eye doc for you.
  • "Almost one billion people worldwide lack access to glasses. This means that 15% of the global population cannot effectively learn or work - a problem that Warby Parker is determined to address. We've partnered with non-profits like VisionSpring to ensure that for every pair of glasses sold, a pair is distributed to someone in need." source: WarbyParker.com


My home try-on box | I was excited!



Testing out my home try-on glasses with mom | Try-on pairs have dummy lenses | Purchased pairs have anti-reflective,
polycarbonate lenses

After placing an order, my new glasses arrived just a few short days later

Very nicely packaged | Sturdy case & cleaning cloth included

My new beauties | Pierce in Oakwood Brown

I wore my new frames for Easter brunch in Iowa | Oh - that's my cousin Nate in the background & I'm holding his adorable son, Nash




No comments:

Post a Comment