July 8, 2013

Time at Torch Lake

How was everyone’s 4th of July holiday?  Did you get to spend some time outdoors, on a beach or on the water?  Luckily, I was able to do all of the above over the four days I spent at beautiful Torch Lake in Michigan.  I was the guest of my wonderful, longtime friend Josh & his family at their lake home, and it was the quintessential 4th of July weekend.  Josh & I met in college at the University of Iowa and have managed to hold on to what is now an almost 10-year friendship.  A special bond was formed all those years ago - one that has seen gentle ups & downs, but has also kept each of us afloat & grounded at different points in our lives.  The fact that 2,000+ miles usually separates us on a daily basis doesn't faze us; Josh keeps working toward & living his dream of acting/writing in LA & I am, in the words of Josh, kicking ass in my own life in Chicago.  The moral support we provide each other stretches across all those many miles.  Our appreciation for one another was strengthened after our time spent together this past week, and I know that we have many more years of giving advice, joking around, catching up, trading relationship stories, giving more advice, listening & calling each other out on any bullshit, because that’s what good friends do.  

Me & Josh at the National Cherry Festival in Michigan

Truly admiring & respecting someone for the authentic being they are is a precious gift each & every time we’re able to honestly claim it.  My time at Torch Lake was spent with some genuine souls whom I can now count among such a group - Josh's family.  Though it was my first time meeting most of them, they are a fun, loud, caring, amusing, sincere & loving bunch - just like my own big family - and I felt right at home.  Morning coffee & eggs, cooking with grandma, chats with Josh’s mom, boating with his brothers Ben & Ryan and their friends, teasing & telling jokes, watching fireworks on the dock with cousins & the rest of the bunch...looking back on it the days surely went by too quickly.  I was able to tell a few fun stories about my own family and I introduced the entire crew at Torch Lake to a part of my family that has become a big part of who I am - Tiny But Mighty Popcorn - and man was it a hit!  I handed out bags of Ready To Eat Sea Salt flavor & taught them how to pop our tiny kernels in coconut oil, all while they had me tell & re-tell the story of my Aunt & Uncle and how Tiny But Mighty came to be.  Needless to say we now have quite the loyal following in Michigan :)

Grandma, Mama Woodle, cousins Ella & Nina

Our boating crew, minus Josh's big bro, Ryan, who snapped this photo | L-R: Josh, Ben, me, Brad, Liz & Andy

The past week of my life was certainly an adventure, and I'm so happy I let myself live in the moment. It's life's little (and big) adventures that help mold us into the people we're supposed to be, and it is my belief that we must take adventures to in order to know where we truly belong.  A big thanks to Josh & his family for allowing me to be part of their time at Torch Lake - another adventure for the books...

Ain't she a beaut'? | Torch Lake

Happiness





※ ※ ※


1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I love this post. I can tell that you and Josh have a special friendship. Its funny because this sounds so much like my boyfriend's and mine story. We have been friends for about 15 years through moves, Army deployments and all kinds of craziness. I was your reading your About page and noticed you are from Iowa! I'll be there this weekend for the first time; the boyfriend has a function at his old alma mater at Iowa State. I'm actually looking forward to sightseeing the state.

    ReplyDelete