July 12, 2013

Get Your Goat On - Little Goat Brunch

Brunch is by far & away one of my favorite pastimes.  To me, it's the perfect setting to catch up with friends on all the happenings of life - especially when chilaquiles, a great benedict, a fresh cup of coffee or a tart mimosa are involved.  I've never been a "no carbs" kinda girl, but still, you won't find me perusing the pancakes or french toast section of the menu since they typically run too sweet for my taste.  When it comes to brunch I take the savory route every time.  Occasionally you can sneak a doughnut or pastry in there & I'll bite - which is exactly what happened when I had brunch at Little Goat Diner in the West Loop.  I got my savory fix and I was convinced to try their famous house cinnamon roll - a decision I do not one bit regret...


Not typically a sweets fan, but I couldn't resist this big guy

I ventured out one Sunday morning with my girl Angie (my brunch partner in crime) to satisfy our breakfast cravings closer to the noon hour.  Having heard many good things about Stephanie Izard's newest spot (sister to Girl & The Goat), we made our way over to the West Loop.  This 'hood is definitely a favorite of mine with its industrial feel, brick streets, old warehouses, abundance of street art & incredible food findings, I love spending time in this area any chance I get - and Little Goat Diner fits right in with it's urban throw-back feel.

Little Goat Diner

Kitchen | Little Goat Diner

Main dining room | Little Goat Diner

Even if you don't personally know owner/head chef Stephanie, you get the sense that she is a hardworking, down-to-earth kinda chick.  Both of her restaurants are designed to give customers a peek into the hustle & bustle of the kitchen.  Quite often you'll find Ms. Izard back there laughing with her staff & busting her ass with the rest of 'em, making sure shit gets done.  She has created a place that simply buzzes with goodness, warmth & honesty - a place that makes you want to come back again & again, especially now that Little Goat has opened a rooftop for the summer months.

Counter seating | Little Goat Diner

Expect a bit of a wait when you go for brunch, but head next door to Little Goat Bread to pass the time, where you'll find a fully-stocked bar with a mean bloody mary, fresh baked goods & a full coffee bar that serves up Stumptown Coffee.  When dining at Little Goat I suggest asking for recommendations from your server (something I do no matter where I am), as the menu is robust & can feel a bit daunting - but better too much than too little when you're talking about a brunch menu, yeah?  We went with two of our server's suggestions and were happy that we did.  Check out more photos below - and get yourself to the Goat!

About to get our brunch on

The Ooey Gooey Cinnabun

Bull's Eye French Toast | Eggs, crispy chicken, sweet onion brioche, maple syrup, kumkwats

Brandade and Belly | Brandade, pork belly, sunny side eggs, biscuit, kimchi

A peek into the Brandade and Belly

Coffee bar | Little Goat Bread

Full bar | Little Goat Bread

Pickled things | Little Goat Bread

Freshly baked | Little Goat Bread

Beet bread samples | Little Goat Bread

Sky's the limit | Little Goat Bread


※ ※ ※

2 comments:

  1. Ashley I am going here this weekend for the first time. Totally getting the cinnamon roll now. Love the review and cannot wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh totally love the photos! I so want to go there!

    ReplyDelete