January 8, 2013

Sick Day...

After fighting the same nasty cold for just over 3 weeks now I finally made it in to see a doctor yesterday & got on some antibiotics - twice a day for the next 10 days - guess I needed it!  It all started the week before Christmas (never good timing) with a sore throat that led to me losing my voice for a few days.  It then transformed into total head congestion & a non-stop runny nose and body aches.  I tried Zicam, Airborn and Emergen-C at the first signs, but it kept developing.  DayQuil, NyQuil, Sudafed - nothing.  This beast could not be stopped.



I must admit I had a mini breakdown the Friday night before Christmas as my sister Abbey drove us back to Iowa.  I was so sick, in such a total fog and the entire middle of my face was chapped raw from all the nose blowing (so sexy), not to mention that week at work was particularly busy and, in turn, challenging because I felt so miserable.  As my sister navigated I called my mom to tell her we were about 3 hours away, and as she replied "oh honey, you just sound awful I'm so sorry" - I just lost it.  I was sobbing on the phone like a child who had fallen down, skinned their knee & needed their mom to bandage it up & tell them it was going to be OK.

The drive home was extra tough since one lane of I-80 was practically covered entirely with ice, but thankfully we made it safely. Mom & dad waited up for us, they had warm beds ready & cold remedies galore to help ease the pain.  It was so good to be home.

I still felt a bit under the weather the whole time I was back for Christmas.  We headed back to Chicago for our friend's wedding on NYE & I was feeling pretty good.  New Year's Day came & went, and it seemed as though I might be in the clear. Then - back to work for only the second day, I found myself sitting at my desk with another sore throat.  "How could this be happening?!" I thought - I even got my first ever flu shot this year* - I take vitamins, eat healthy, exercise, sleep...I didn't get it!

If there's one thing I've learned about the cold & flu season this year, it's that this year's bugs are NASTY and they hold on for as long as they can, so PLEASE get yourself into a doctor or a clinic.  I went to a CVS  Minute Clinic yesterday because I couldn't get into my regular MD for days.  At CVS, I was in & out in 40 minutes with a prescription - on the road to recovery, finally!

The doctor's orders, besides my medication, were to do less - sleep more - drinks lots of tea with honey - sleep more - drink lots of water - and rest, hence my sick day today.  I've been sleeping most of the day already but needed a little break & decided to share my experience in hopes that you will get yourself to a doctor ASAP if you're feeling sick.  Don't let it take you down for days or weeks - it will lay the smack down on even the healthiest of people!  Take care of yourself & take a day off work, if need be.  The world will keep on turning & you will feel better much faster, trust me.


#sickday #confessionsofmynightstand


*Please get your flu shots - it's not too late this year.  I was sick with a nasty cold - I can't imagine if I had a terrible flu bug.  There have already been a record number of flu cases for this year & death tolls are on the rise - so please get those flu shots!



No comments:

Post a Comment