January 14, 2013

Betty's "Different" Chocolate Chip Cookies - A Must Try!


Welcome to another recipe for chocolate chip cookies - but these aren't just any chocolate chip cookies.  Nooooo, no - these are my grandma Betty's famous "different" chocolate chip cookies.  I often post recipes that are on the healthier side, but sometimes you just have to throw all your worries out the window & get back to the goodness.

Growing up my grandparents lived close to where we went to grade school, which led to a lot of hanging at grandma & papa's house after school and on early out days.  There were so many magical things about their house growing up - from the outside front walkway made of 10,000 bricks my papa designed & built himself - to the magical backyard full of flowers, vegetables & a huge old pine we used to climb - to the amazing smell of yummy goodies my grandma always seemed to be baking. Many of those treats would end up in the corner of their kitchen, high up on the counter top in a light blue glass cookie jar - transparent enough to tease us with its contents - yet clouded enough to keep us guessing exactly what type of cookie she had whipped up that week.

A staple favorite of all 13 of her grandchildren has always been her chocolate chip cookies.  Unlike any other chocolate chip cookie any of us had ever had - these were crisp but soft, buttery & crumbly.  Beyond delicious with a cold glass of milk, they were a treat we only got to experience on our best behavior - rightfully so.

This was surprisingly my first attempt at making my grandma's "different" chocolate chip cookies & based on the way they turned out, it will most certainly not be the last - now I just need to share them :)

Recipe & photos below!

My grandma Betty's "different" chocolate chip cookies│Perfection



My berry-hued baby│Never lets me down

Cookie prep│Yep - that's shortening│#oldschoolbaking

Batter & chips



Fresh out of the oven

These will be served in the store I will own one day│#dreamsintoreality

The original Gazette article about my late Papa│Featuring his landscape architect work│Front of their house c. 1993

Excellent shot of my grandma Betty & I│c. 1989


Grandma Betty's "Different" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 c Crisco shortening 
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. cream of tar tar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 c flour 
- 1 pkg chocolate chips (or about 1 cup)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients through salt and mix well.  Add flour - 1 cup at a time - mixing well & scraping bowl after each addition.  Add chocolate chips & mix until incorporated.  Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° F for 15 mins, or until tops just start to turn golden brown.

Be sure to enjoy with a nice cold glass of milk!  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.




3 comments:

  1. Ashley... Hey it's Ashley from Clear Lake! I tried this recipe today and they are really good! My little guy really liked them :) Thanks for sharing! I will keep reading your blog! oh just fyi or for other readers the recipe yielded me 4 dozen cookies (which was even better because I'm sharing them at work) and also I have a convection oven and the temp and time were still the same. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ash! I'm glad you liked them! I updated the amount to about 3 dozen because the batch I made didn't give me four doz., but I can see how you could ration them out further for sure. Glad you were able to take them to work - I guess it was a nice surprise to have the extras :) Hope you keep trying recipes out - take care dear! xxoo

    ReplyDelete