January 5, 2013

New Year's Resolution: Do More to Follow My Dreams


Happy weekend - I hope you're all settling nicely into 2013.  The transition has been a tiny bit bumpy for me, as I still have a touch of the cold I started fighting almost two weeks before Christmas - yuck.  This coming from someone who lives a pretty darn healthy life too - regular exercise, healthy eating (most of the time), vitamins - although, I suppose I'm one of those people who could certainly use more sleep.  But then again, couldn't we all?!

It's hard to find time for more sleep when you're keeping busy in your work, personal or social life.  If you're like me, you've been busy taking steps to figure out what really makes you happy.  Not to say I don't already have happiness in my life - that would just be a false statement - but for sometime now I've been on a search to find what feeds my soul - fulfillment, creativity, expression, meaning, happiness.

Creating this blog just six months ago has already fed my soul more than I could have imagined.  It's allowed me to have a creative voice; to find joy in sharing special experiences with family and friends; to bring happiness to people through recipes & cooking; to share a part of myself that I felt was often hidden before, except to those closest to me; and to connect with people, both new & known, in a way that makes me feel like I'm doing something right, something good - and leaves me wanting more.

One of the best experiences this blog has brought me so far was getting the opportunity to reconnect with my friend Mary Beth.  I met MB many years ago in college at the University of Iowa (and bonus - we're both natives of that awesome state). Although we haven't actually seen each other in many moons, I've kept abreast of her inspirational journey to find herself & find what makes her happy - her journey to find & create bliss.  You see, that's one of the many things the talented Mary Beth does - she's a blisscrafter, and a damn good one at that.

Do yourself a favor and check out her blog - but allow yourself ample time to get lost in her honesty & inspiration, and a little extra time to day dream.  After exploring Mary Beth's world and all the wonderful people & experiences sprinkled throughout, you'll be left thinking about all the ways you could follow your dreams & get to a happier, more bliss-filled place - and hopefully you'll take steps to start figuring it out.

I was incredibly honored to be featured on Mary Beth's blog as an Inspire profile a few weeks ago (thank you, MB!).  Now that I'm fully realizing that the audience of my blog extends far beyond friends, family & Facebook, I thought I should share the post here also - where perhaps those I don't personally know may stumble upon it, and hopefully find some inspiration of their own.

Surround yourself with honest to god good people, creative & caring souls.  Get back to your roots.  Take steps everyday to get yourself closer to your goals.  Get motivated.  Challenge yourself.  Embrace change.  Be thankful.

My New Year's Resolution this year: Do more to follow my dreams.  I hope you will too.


Word.


p.s. - if this post & little quote weren't quite enough inspiration, check out one of my all-time favorite songs that always pumps up my spirit & gets me motivated: Keep Your Head Up!

xoxo
Ash


2 comments:

  1. the feeling is very mutual! i hope we can reconnect in person soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Beth! Me too - hopefully in March if I make it out to LA! xo

      Delete