January 18, 2013

Adventures in Dulce de Leche...


Last night was my first ever attempt at making Dulce de Leche...needless to say I could not stop inhaling the incredible smell of the vanilla bean simmering in the pot.  A process that takes a good three hours, but I knew that going in, so I enjoyed it with a big ol' glass of red wine & The Lumineers Pandora station (my definite fav at the moment).  I'm hoping it all comes together in the end, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow night when my friends taste the cake in its entirety post-birthday dinner celebration.  You see, this labor of love that is/was dulce de leche - it's not for naught.  It's going to be (what I hope will be) the delicious filling of a moist vanilla layer cake with dark chocolate buttercream frosting - aka one of the best damn birthday cakes my friends will ever taste.  We will be celebrating my longtime friends Angie & Andrea, who happen to share the same birthday & who also happen to TOTALLY ROCK.  These girls are excellent - and they deserve an excellent cake - and it's my pleasure to make one for them.  

Any excuse to bake - to try something new - to make people happy with my food...I will pounce!  


Could not stop inhaling the vanilla bean & seeds simmering in the pot  #lecheheaven


I'll post the recipes I use & pics once it's all said and done - for now, looking forward to seeing some of my loves this weekend making the trip in from Iowa.  Drive safe, ladies - can't wait to see your beautiful faces!  TGIF!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment