December 30, 2012

Omelets in a Bag - Say Whaaaaat?!


Omelets in a bag.  Yep...it's totally a thing...and a damn good one at that.  Easy, tasty, quick & foolproof - an ingenious way to make delicious, perfectly-formed omelets, and I had no idea this method existed until I spent some time with my aunts over Christmas break...lucky me :)

My aunt Lori & my aunt Jo are two of the most kind, loving, encouraging & creative people I know.  I am so fortunate to know them, and to be able to call them family.  My aunt Lori & I have been close for a very long time - not only is she my godmother, but she has also become one of my best friends.  She lives life with a zest that is indescribable.  To know her is to love her, and if you're lucky enough to spend some time around her, your quality of life is sure to improve.

Lori & Jo recently celebrated their 2 year marriage anniversary.  Yep, that's right - they got married in Iowa on their 10 year anniversary of being together because gay marriage is legal in Iowa - because love is not prejudice, blind or discriminatory - because love is love - and because IOWA FREAKING ROCKS!!!  (Pretty damn proud native right here).  It was the most amazing day and none of us will ever forget it.  The day brought together everything wonderful about Lori & Jo, their friends and their families - the amount of love present that day was simply sublime.

Jo & Lori on their wedding day | So much love



Aunt Lori & I at their cozy home this December

Aunt Jo & I | She gave me this awesome shelf that used to hang in their bedroom | Love

Now that I'm getting all teary-eyed - back to the omelets!  As I mentioned, I got to spend the day & night up in Cedar Falls at Lori & Jo's incredibly charming, cozy & beautiful home.  It's always a treat when I get to stay the night up there & spend time with them - lots of laughter, fun projects & I am always spoiled.  I left with a basket of flavored olive oils, salt grinders, grandma's antique crystal oil & vinegar cruettes & a gorgeous Deco shelf for my apartment!  The morning after I stayed the night I awoke to fresh brewed coffee and a plan for omelets in a bag!

Lori & Jo had set out diced ham, crumbled breakfast sausage, diced onion & two types of cheese and sour cream.  Omelets in a bag can be made with any typical omelet ingredients so use your imagination & load up on veggies, meats, cheeses, etc. It's as simple as cracking two whole eggs into a quart-size freezer bag (freezer bag is important so they are resistant to the heat), adding whatever extra ingredients you like to the bag, squishing it all up so it mixes together, sealing the bag & dropping it in a pot of boiling water for 13 minutes.  Once the timer goes off the omelets will slip right out of the bag onto your plate - hot & ready to enjoy!  We had so much fun making our omelets and this is a fun & easy breakfast to make when you have company too!

Check out photos & recipe/directions below & enjoy :)

Finished product!

Ingredients

Making my omelet

Squishy squishy

Three amigos 

In they go

Drop them in & set the timer

Thirteen minutes later...

Boom - perfectly formed omelet

Top & enjoy!



Omelets in a Bag!

Ingredients

- 1 large pot boiling water
- quart-size freezer zip-lock bags (again, must be freezer so they don't melt in the boiling water)
- 2 whole eggs per omelet (you could also try 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites for a lighter omelet)
- any veggies desired (any type of onion, tomato, broccoli, mushroom, peppers, etc)
- any meats desired (ham, sausage, bacon, chorizo, etc)

For topping:
- any type of cheese (cheddar, swiss, bleu, feta, goat, etc)
- sour cream
- hot sauce


Directions

Crack 2 eggs into one quart-sized freezer bag.  Add desired meats or veggies.  If using any type of shredded cheese, add as a topping to the omelet instead of in the bag, as it makes omelets watery if included in the bag with the eggs while cooking.  If using a crumbled cheese like bleu, feta or goat you could add it into the egg mixture.

Once you have all the toppings in, squish the bottom of the bag until eggs are broken up & mixed well with toppings.  Once incorporated, squeeze any extra air out of the bag & seal bag closed.  Place bag(s) in pot of boiling water for 13 minutes.  No need to stir or do anything with the bags.  Once the timer goes off, remove bags (careful they will be hot!) and open to slide omelet out onto a plate.  Top with your choice of cheese or sauce & serve these babies up!





No comments:

Post a Comment