November 16, 2013

Auntie To Be

Exactly one week from today, my little niece Amelia is due to make her grand entrance into the world.  Anxious, excited, curious, overjoyed & proud are just a few words to describe how I feel as I sit here thinking about holding her for the first time.  I know the full gravity of meeting her won't hit me until I'm in that moment, but I tear up just thinking about how wonderful this little baby is going to be, and how incredibly lucky she is to have my brother and sister-in-law as her parents.

Kathy, Ian + baby Amelia | photo by Addison Arp

I can only begin to put into words how much I look up to my big brother, Ian.  He is absolutely the funniest person I know, and his wit is unparalleled.  His antics, silly commentary & hilarious dance moves are always the highlight of any time spent together with our family.  He is crazy intelligent, incredibly thoughtful, a talented lawyer/businessman, an amazing self-taught cook, and he makes a seriously mean old fashioned (among many other cocktails he's perfected).  We love cooking together and we're always the ones helping mom get a food & drink game plan nailed down for family celebrations.  We talk music, movies, hilarious youtube clips & food nearly every day, and he has always been there if I needed him.  Though it may sound a bit cheesy, he totally is one of my best friends.  

I could stop there, but I'd be selling Ian short if I didn't mention what an incredible partner he is to my amazing sister-in-law, Kathy.  I've had the privilege of watching their relationship grow into the unbreakable bond that it is today, and I am so excited to see the next chapter in their lives begin with the addition of Amelia.  Kathy made a seamless transition into our big & crazy family, and she's like another sister to my other siblings and I.  She's the perfect person to support, love & grow with my brother and she is going to be an amazing mother to a very beautiful and loved little girl.  

Not only am I spoiled to be one of Amelia's three aunties, but Ian and Kathy have also asked me to be her godmother!  In true Ian & Kathy form, they didn't just simply ask - they thoughtfully surprised me by having me look at "before & after" photos of their house on Ian's iPad.  About six photos in this one popped up and I immediately burst into tears and yelled "Of course I will!!!"


There is so much love awaiting this little girl, and it will never run out.  I can't wait to see Ian & Kathy as parents, to see my parents in their new role as grandparents, my sisters as aunts, my little brother an uncle, and I cannot wait to be Aunt Ashley.  I also can't think of a better gift arriving just in time for the holidays than this little baby girl.  Amelia - I'm so excited to meet you!!!!!!

photo by Addison Arp


❤ ❤ ❤



No comments:

Post a Comment