October 5, 2012

Maid-Rite Hits Chicago - Loose Meat Changes People's Lives

Have you ever heard of Maid-Rite?  If you're from or have spent time in the Midwest, chances are you have...but if you haven't been to one yet & you find yourself wandering the streets of Chicago, then you should definitely go check it out. Maid-Rite just opened its first Chicago location in the heart of Lincoln Park at 2429 N. Lincoln Avenue. Conveniently located across the street from Lincoln Hall, it's a tasty & affordable option for a quick bite before or after a show (they're open until 3am on Fridays & Saturdays!) and a viable Lincoln Ave. option to Qdoba and Micky D's.  Keep scrolling down for some mouth-watering photos & an explanation of this fascinatingly tasty Midwest classic... 


Chicago Maid-Rite | 2429 N. Lincoln Ave.




A stone's throw from Lincoln Hall


Growing up in Palo, Iowa the closest Maid-Rite location to us was in our local West-side mall in Cedar Rapids - Westdale Mall. Some of the fondest memories from my childhood were trips to this mall, which has seen stores and pedestrian traffic come & go over the years, but was in its heyday when I was a little girl.  Maid-Rite was a special treat for my four siblings & I back in the day, and getting to eat lunch there was a reward based solely on how we behaved while mom was shopping for our coordinating Christmas/Easter/family photo outfits at Von Maur.  

I remember the look of the 50's, diner-themed Westdale Maid-Rite, but mostly I remember the smell of the amazing sandwiches & fried goodness wafting towards us as we made our way to the counter to order up some loose meat sandwiches. What's that?  Loose meat you say?  Yes, loose meat - don't let this term turn you off - it's simply used to describe the seasoned ground beef that is the staple of this down-home delicacey.  Think of a traditional sloppy joe, but without any kind of sauce. Instead, Maid-Rite's signature loose meat comes piled high atop a soft & warm bun (white or wheat) with a layer of ketchup, mustard, pickle & diced onion strategically placed on the bottom bun.  Lucky for all of us they always include a little plastic spoon with each sandwich - without it, half the goodness would be left on the paper or in your lap after attempting to scoop it up with your hands.


Cheese-Rite


Now, it's been said the true way to enjoy this sandwich is sans cheese, but I just can't (nor have I ever been able to) say no to cheese.  I always go with the Cheese-Rite sandwich and a side of their famous Cheese Curds.  I got to enjoy this combo for the first time in years as I made my first trip to the LP Maid-Rite.  Although it was near closing time, I was greeted with smiles and I got the chance to chat a bit with the owner, Rob Svendsen.  I shared my affection for Maid-Rite with him and he immediately asked if I was from Iowa - "sure am!" I replied, perhaps a bit overly excited.  As I made my way out and wished he & the first Chicago Maid-Rite much success, Rob said one of the most genius things I have ever heard that I will remember always: "Loose meat changes people's lives" - though I may be a bit biased, I couldn't have said it better myself!


Cheese Curds


So yum | Yes, you will need many, many napkins | So worth it


Inside look | Owner Bob Svendsen


Inside Lincoln Ave. Maid-Rite | Throw-back decor


Back home with my to-go bag | Right before ripping it open & demolishing it | Just do it





1 comment: