October 17, 2012

Healthy Buffalo-Style Turkey & Spinach Meatloaf!

How much do you love buffalo-style...well...anything?!  I love it, can't seem to get enough, and most people I know feel the same way.  When thinking about the pound of lean ground turkey I had sitting in my freezer I knew it'd been a while since I made a meatloaf...yet I wanted something with a kick and I just so happened to have a full bottle of Cholula in the fridge - this sparked the idea of a buffalo-style meatloaf!  Why hadn't I thought of this one before??  Turns out there are a handful of recipes for buffalo-style meatloaf online, but I know the basics of a meatloaf and wanted to do my own version, which turned out just right and is pretty darn healthy too!

Side note: I must apologize for the lack of "finished product" photos in this post...I was chatting up a storm with a friend while cooking and we were so hungry by the time the meatloaf was done, we cut into it & started devouring it without me remembering to snap a few pics!  We also ate out on my back deck last night - such a nice night, but not great for lighting...hopefully you can use your imagination for what it will look like coming out of the oven - piping hot & smelling amazing - until you can make the meatloaf yourself!  I served this bad boy over a bed of quinoa seasoned with a little olive oil, Cholula hot sauce and cracked pepper - a delicious & healthy little combo.

Recipe below...

Fresh spinach | Eggs for whites | Onion & garlic



Fat free Feta | Red pepper flakes | Cholula | Sea salt grinder | Pepper medley grinder


Sautéing onions & garlic


Add the spinach


Spinach | Onion | Garlic


Only remaining piece of buffalo turkey meatloaf


Poorly lit photo of 2 slices meatloaf atop a bed of quinoa | It was delicious


Healthy Buffalo-Style Turkey & Spinach Meatloaf

Ingredients:

- ground turkey (lean; 1 or 1.25 lb package will work)
- 1 small onion (I used yellow; white or red would be fine too; I also only had 1/2 of a large onion left in my fridge so I just used that up)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (if using pre-minced garlic from a jar, use 1 tsp)
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach (if using frozen spinach, thaw about a cup & squeeze out excess moisture before incorporating)
- 2 tblsp olive oil (canola or vegetable is fine too - this is for sautéing the onion, garlic & spinach)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs (regular or Italian style work; if you don't have breadcrumbs, substitute 1/2 cup of flour, white or wheat or 1/2 cup old fashioned oats)
- 1/4 cup fat free crumbled Feta cheese (could also use bleu cheese crumbles but won't be as low-fat)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (you've heard it before my friends - Cholula is my fav, but any hot sauce you like works just fine)
- 1 tsp worchestire sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (I like using Sea salt)
- 1 tblsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't want the extra spice kick)
- ketchup for top glaze (about 2 tblsp; also an optional step)
* 1 cup quinoa (brown rice or couscous are also good options; once quinoa is cooked add a little olive oil, pepper and a tblsp of hot sauce)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375º F.  If serving over quinoa, follow directions for cooking:  Soak 1 cup quinoa in water for 5 mins.  Drain in a sieve and add quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot on the stove.  Heat until boiling, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer until water is gone, stirring consistently.

Thaw ground turkey if needed, and transfer to a large bowl.  Dice onion and mince garlic.  Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion & garlic.  Sauté (stirring consistently) over medium heat for 4 minutes or until onion starts to look soft & translucent.  Add the spinach to the pan and toss with onion & garlic until spinach is cooked (will shrink significantly & darken in color).  Remove from heat and set aside.

Whisk egg whites together in small bowl, then add to bowl of turkey.  Add the rest of the ingredients through the red pepper flakes to bowl, then add the spinach, onion & garlic mix to the bowl and combine using your (clean) hands.  Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.  Transfer mixture to a greased bread pan or form into a loaf-shape on a greased cookie sheet.  Spread ketchup over top of meatloaf.

Cook meatloaf at 375º for 35-40 mins, depending on your oven.  Let sit for a few minutes before cutting in.  Serve sliced meatloaf immediately over a bed of the quinoa.  Load up with extra hot sauce if you so choose!

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment