September 24, 2012

Autumn Spice, Game Day Chili & Everything Nice...

Saturday marked one of my favorite days of the year - the first official day of fall.  As I've mentioned, I'm a sucker for the seasonal changes that come with living in the Midwest.  I grew up in a home where the different seasons were signified & celebrated by changing decor, scented candles, cozy fires and baking - traditions that are still deeply rooted in my own life today.  There are so many wonderful things to love about fall - some of my personal favorites include:

pumpkin & spice scented candles | crisp fall temps | CHAI LATTES |  football  | acorn squash | spiked apple cider BOOTS & JEANS | pumpkin spice doughnuts the wood burning fireplace in my cozy apartment | apple orchards |  pumpkin patches  | BONFIRES | candy corn & peanutscinnamon in my coffee | PUMPKIN SWIRL CHEESECAKE | sweaters | decorative gourds | baking pumpkin bread | CHILI | hayrack rides | changing leaves {


A little throw-back fall photo: a trip to the pumpkin patch with my siblings & cousins - circa 1992.  Since then many more cousins & another sibling of mine were added to our huge, hilarious family...

L-R: my cousins Ben, Jordan, my little brother Andrew (red hoodie), my cousin Aaron
(yellow coat), my older brother Ian (glasses), our hilarious uncle Matt, my cousin Nate,
Me (next to Ian), my sister Abbey (huge grin) and my cousin Jaelynn (pink coat)


Some of the best fall days are spent watching football, whether it be at a rowdy bar, in the comfort of your home or if you're lucky - at the actual game.  Saturday I had some family over to watch the Hawkeyes - who unfortunately lost by one point last minute, but we won't focus on that right now - rather, we'll focus on the high points of the day...  

It was a crisp 55 degrees outside and the sun was shining.  I had my pumpkin & autumn spiced candles burning, and cinnamon sticks boiling in a small pot on the stove - the air smelled heavenly.  My brother & sister-in-law showed up just in time for kick-off, bags of goodies & a mini-pumpkin in hand as a gift for the host - they know me so well!  As I put the last of the ingredients for the chili in the stock pot to simmer (recipe below!), my brother busted out his shakers & impressive ingredients and proceeded to make the most decadent, over-the-top delicious bloody marys from scratch.  

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing, talking, eating & laughing - yet another great day filled with the simplest of pleasures.  I get so much joy out of hosting - a trait I definitely acquired from my mother & grandmother - and I love almost nothing more than spending quality time with family.  We are lucky to have days like yesterday, as my brother & his wife recently relocated to Chicago after spending 4+ years in Austin, TX.  Austin is a fantastic city and I know they miss it dearly, but they are happy to be closer to family & we are thrilled to have them closer too.  

I look forward to many more days like yesterday - in the meantime, I share with you a few snapshots of how I'm representin' Fall in my apartment, and the recipe for the easy & healthy chili I made Saturday...enjoy!


Mantle above my fireplace



Autumn Spice soy candle in the bedroom



A vintage photo of my mom (circa 1972) sits on a side table in my living room


Dining table: mason jar of matchbooks, bowl full of gourds &
the pumpkin my brother & sister-in-law brought me


Ashley's Autumn Chili
Feeds about 6 people

Ingredients

- 1 (1 lb.) pkg. extra lean ground beef
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced yellow pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red onion diced

- 1 can reduced sodium kidney beans
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans
- 1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14.7 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 tblsp cumin
- 3 tblsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup stout or pale ale beer

Directions

Combine beef, all peppers, garlic and onion in a large pot on the stove.  Saute until beef is cooked.  Add all remaining ingredients to pot (beans through beer) and stir well.  Simmer on medium-low heat for 45 minutes, making sure to stir the chili every 5 minutes or so, to ensure it doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
Top chili in individual bowls with a shredded, reduced fat cheese of your choice & a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream).  Serve with a side of French bread.

Chili spread




Insane bloody marys, compliments of my older bro




1 comment: